The third accused person in the Ato Forson trial Richard Jakpa has dared anyone who wants to harm him to attempt and see what will happen.
He says anyone seeking to harm him must be a professional attacker otherwise it will be a death sentence for any amateur is sent to attack him.
Asked whether he fears for his life following the secret recording he made against Attorney-General Godfred Dame, Jakpa told Journalists in court on Tuesday, June 4 “I am a governor in the jungle, they can try it, if they succeed fine but they must make sure they come with professionals, if they bring amateurs it will be a death sentence for them, so they should bring professionals if they want to come after me.”
Richard Jakpa however expressed optimism that he would be freed based on the evidence before the court.
Asked whether anything other than walking free will be an injustice? he answered, “I cannot decide that I am walking free, it is her leadership who will decide based upon evidence that is before her, the evidence will lead to that and I know she is going to hold fidelity to the law, that is what is expected of her so I don’t have any issue at all.”
Richard Jakpa further answered why he did not submit the audio recording he made against Attorney-General Godfred Dame to the court.
He said his lawyer knows the court process and has his own strategy hence he cannot dictate how the case should be handled.
“I am not a lawyer, my lawyer knows his strategy and he understands the court processes more than I do so he so doing what is required of him, he has his own strategy, I cannot dictate to him on his strategy,” he told journalists in court on Tuesday June 4.
Further explaining why he secretly recorded a private conversation he had with Dame, Jakpa argued that when the conversation is one that is leading to the commission of a crime, it can no longer qualify to be private hence his decision to record it without the consent of the A-G.
“He is prosecuting innocent people so who is disingenuous? private conversations, when it is a conversation that leads to committing a crime it can no longer be private, it becomes a crime against the state, so it can no longer be private. so that private claim is neither here nor there,” Jakpa told journalists in court on Tuesday, June 4.
Richard Jakpa further told the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and all other persons claiming the audio that he secretly made against the Attorney-General had been doctored to bring the original tape.
In his view, the tape that he released which was played by the National Chairman of the NDC Johnson Asiedu Nketia at a press conference has not been recorded.
“They are saying it is a doctored tape, I didn’t say that so they should bring the original; . They should tender the original to the court,” he said when asked for his response on the claim that the tape was doctored.
akpa had accused Attorney-General Godfred Dame of influencing him to support his case against Ato Forson’s trial.
The Minority Leader Dr. Ato Forson, Sylvester Anemana as well as private businessman, Richard Jakpa, are standing trial for willfully causing a financial loss of €2.37 million to the state through a contract to purchase 200 ambulances for the Ministry of Health, among other charges.
The state has, however, discontinued the case against Sylvester Anemana.
It is recalled that during court proceedings on Thursday, May 23, 2024, Mr Jakpa fumed at the Attorney-General for accusing him of defending Ato Forson, in his testimony.
The businessman, who was under cross-examination by counsel for the Minority Leader, had earlier been warned by Justice Afia Serwah Asare-Botwe to be direct in his responses rather than going around it and wasting the Court’s time.